Let’s get started on this delightful journey of creating peppermint patties from scratch. In this blog post, we’re going to show you a mouthwatering peppermint patty recipe that’s easy to follow. These delectable confections are perfect for satisfying your sweet tooth and impressing your friends and family. Join us at CocoTerra as we explore the art of crafting these cool and creamy peppermint patties from scratch.
What are chocolate peppermint patties?
Peppermint patties are a classic American candy known for their cool, refreshing, and minty flavor. They consist of a smooth and creamy peppermint-flavored filling encased in a thin layer of chocolate. Peppermint patties are typically round, flat candies that people enjoy as a snack or dessert.
Peppermint patties are a popular treat, especially around the holiday season. You can find them in most candy stores and supermarkets. These candies are known for their sweet, minty interior that is combined with an intense chocolatey flavor coating. They’re a favorite treat for candy lovers of all ages.
What is the best chocolate to make peppermint patties?
Peppermint patties are typically covered in dark chocolate which plays nicely with the sweet, minty interior. Dark chocolate with a cocoa content of 70% is the best choice for making peppermint patties because it offers the right balance of sweetness and chocolate intensity. Feel free to experiment if you want to adjust the flavor profile.
Chocolate peppermint patties
For the Filling:
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons water (as needed)
For the Chocolate Coating:
- 10 ounces dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)
- Crushed peppermint candies for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, add the softened butter, sweetened condensed milk, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract. Mix to combine.
- Add the powdered sugar gradually and mix until it becomes crumbly.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together into a soft and pliable mass. The “dough” should be firm but not too dry.
- Dust your work surface with powdered sugar and roll out the dough until it is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter to cut out rounds from the dough. Place the rounds on a parchment paper sheet.
- Place the baking sheet with the rounds in the freezer for 20-30 minutes, until they harden.
- While the patties are chilling, melt the chocolate. You can do this in a microwave in 20-30-second intervals, stirring after each interval until smooth. Make sure to temper the chocolate if you want it to look shiny and not melt in your hands when you eat it.
- If you would like a softer texture to your chocolate coating, add one tablespoon of coconut oil to the melted chocolate and stir until well combined.
- Remove the peppermint patties from the freezer. Using a dipping tool or a fork, dip each patty into the melted chocolate, making sure it’s completely coated. Allow the excess chocolate to drip off.
- After coating the patties, put them back on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- If you want to garnish your chocolate patties with crushed peppermint candies, sprinkle them on top of the patties while the chocolate is still wet. You can also decorate your peppermint patties with holiday-themed transfer sheets to really take it to the next level.
- Let the chocolate coating set by placing the baking sheet in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Once the chocolate is fully set, your homemade chocolate peppermint patties are ready to enjoy!
Store peppermint patties in an airtight container. The container should be made of plastic or glass and have a tight-sealing lid. Peppermint patties can generally be stored at room temperature around 68-72°F (20-22°C), but if you live in a warm climate or during hot weather, refrigeration can help maintain their shape and prevent melting. Just be sure to keep them in an airtight container to prevent moisture absorption.
We hope you enjoyed this recipe. For more great recipes, check out the rest of our CocoTerra blog.